Friday, September 5, 2008

College

So two weeks ago, I FINALLY got to move out to my favorie city ever. Charleston, SC. Finally off to college, finally on my own, finally out of Florence for good. I highly doubt I'll live in Florence even when I'm done with school. Anyways, this new life for me has come with many new experiences, responsibilities, sights, and muscles. You'll understand that if you keep reading.

I'd heard a lot about the College of Charleston. I heard it was a huge party school and that there was alcohol everywhere and bla bla bla. ButI always said that it could't be any worse than USC or Clemson. Well...the first night we were down there we had a first hand experience. Haha Unexpectedly. It's actually a funny story. Ask me about it. (Don't get the wrong idea) But within the first few nights, we'd seen tons of alcohol and weed, been invited to a kegger, a party at the Gravel Pit, and a party a few floors above us. Halfway through the second week, someone pulled our fire alarm in our dorm at 4 in the morning. There was a girl so trashed, that the fire alarm didn't wake her up. It wasn't a pretty sight. Two guys carried her out and she still didn't wake up laying on the sidewalk. She proceeded to throw up. A little gross. And the ambulance came and took her to the hospital. I felt bad for her...but I guess she should have had some kind of self control. Needless to say, we didn't get back in the room until after five and I had 8am classes. So yea...Charleston lives up to it's reputation.

However...the city is AMAZING!!!!! I absolutely LOVE it!!! It has so much history and incredibly gorgeous architecture! I love walking around and just looking at all of the old historic buildings. I'm pretty sure this is the prettiest city I've ever seen. (Not to mention there are around five starbucks on campus :) My absolute favorite spot is the Cistern which is a building on campus. It was built in the late 1700s and it is gorgeous. It has a huge grass courtyard in front of it with tons of huge mossy oak trees. Hopefully I'll get some pictures up soon on here or facebook.

Oh...and the muscle thing. Freshman can't have their car their first year (unless you want to pay 500 dollars a semester). So I have to walk everywhere. Which really isn't that bad. For those of you who have never been to CofC, which is most of you b/c most of my readers are from Wild Week, it's located in downtown Charleston and everyone walks because everything you need is just a few blocks away. It's another thing I love about Charleston. So...after the first few days, my legs were killing me. It hurt just to put weight on my feet. But it's all better now. You get used to it. Charleston just has so much to do so I'm walking constantly. I'm thinking of investing in a bike.

So I went to BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministries) the other night and loved it. So many friendly people all there for the same purpose. And they have a lot of events coming up that I'm really excited about! Different retreats and that sort of thing. It'll be good for me to get involved with them and stay connected because God knows there's plenty of things to take your attention away from God in Charleston.

I love my new home. Pictures up soon hopefully. :] Thanks for reading.

No comments: