Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What to do...

Okay.  I haven't posted anything on here in so long I don't even know anyone will read this but I'm going to use it to vent for a bit about a current dilemma.  As everyone knows, my lifetime goal is to be a full time missionary.  I know for sure that's where God is calling me.  Now, the problem is: How the heck do I get there?  As of the moment, I'm on a pre-med path at the College of Charleston and I'd planned on using that in missions but the more I think about it, that is a lot of my life spent in school.  4 years college, 4 years med school, 2-5 year residency.  Do I want to devote that much time to school?  

I could devote that time to school and the return would also be great because there is a wide need for medical professionals in the mission field.  The only thing I'm worried about is that even after all that school, I'll have massive amounts of loans to pay back so I wouldn't be able to jump right into missions.  Another thing is, that's a long time and I'm scared I will have lost momentum by then and I don't want to get to that point.  So what to do?  

My parents (aka my mom) aren't all that excited about the idea of me living in a 3rd world country, not having much money, not getting married and having grandkids and living down the street, and other things of that nature.  Granted, my mom does have only child syndrome.  They want me to graduate, get a job, and have a "normal" life.  However, normal is relative.  For a lot of my friends, that is normal.  And nowhere in the Bible does it say to live a normal life.  They want me to have a stable comfortable life.  But nowhere in the Bible does it say to live comfortably.  As a matter of fact, it says quite the opposite.  So there's the med school thing.

So, I can go to med school and eventually get involved in missions by the time I'm about 35, granted I don't lose steam in the process.  Another option, I can go to a Bible college somewhere.  Jason presented this idea to me today.  I could actually major in missions.  The only thing with this is, my parents may in fact disown me.  They will certainly not approve because I need to do something that will "enable me to take care of myself."  But I don't want to have a lot of money.  I consider that a blessing.  It makes you depend more on God.  

They don't understand the need to do God's work.  I want to spend this life as if I'm preparing for the next one.  I want my life to be one such that if the Bible were still being written, my story would be in it.  This life has a purpose and I just feel like we're running out of time.  There are too many people out there that need to experience God's love and grace and find out what Jesus did for them.  There are so many that don't even know the gospel!  That's so hard for us to imagine but it's out there!

So med school, Bible college, parental approval, alternate major?  That's my dilemma.  Please PLEASE give me some advice.

kThanxBye.

No comments: