Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm so over worrying about my future...

So tonight, I had a lovely heart to heart talk with my mom.  Most of you know the trouble I've been having in that area with the whole her not supporting my missions and bla bla bla so I won't waste time on that.  But I basically asked her: "what would you say if I went to Bible college and majored in missions?"  She then proceeded to get that disapproving look on her face that I know all to well.  It's not a straight forward "I disapprove look."  It's more of a "I hate that she's bringing this up again and I'm worried she's going to do something stupid and end up not being able to take care of herself" kind of look.  From there I just told her in a very respectful way that I felt like she just didn't support the idea of me doing missions at all which really hurts me because she is the one person that I care the most what her opinion is of me.  She then told me: "Hanna, I want you to get that idea out of your head.  I love you and I will support whatever you do.  And I've known since you were young that you had a heart for people and would end up doing something to help others."  So that made me feel better.  I then told her "I'm glad you feel that way...because I really don't want to be a doctor."  Now, the next sentence she said...I'm not going to lie.  I was quite surprised.  I would even go so far as to say I was shocked to the point of being speechless for a few seconds.  She said: "Praise God!!!"  Apparently, she never wanted me to be a doctor.  She works in a hospital and she said she would never wish that stress level and those call hours on me for anything in the world.  So that made me feel better as well. (Because now, I don't have to take organic chemistry!)

From there, we continued to have this (really wonderful) conversation together about my possible options and she said something and it rhymed and I will probably never forget it.  She was very serious when she said it. It kinda made me laugh.  "Follow your heart...but be smart."  Did you just laugh?  It was great.  Anyways, other options...I don't see myself going to Bible College and I do still see me doing something medical because I really do love biology and medicine practices in general.  So I've made up my mind (again I know.)  I think I'm going to do the one thing I swore I would never EVER do in my entire life.  I'm going to nursing school.  There I said it.  I just don't want to spend 15 years of my life in school to be a doctor.  But I'm not just going to be a nurse.  Here's the plan.  I'm going to do my 4 years of nursing but I want to be a nurse anesthetist.  (They make a lot more...starting around 130-140 a year.)  But to do that you go to nursing school, work 2 years, then you have 2 more years of working/anesthetist school.  I figure that during the 2 years working, I can be saving up and preparing for missions (whatever that entails)...go the next 2 years and continue preparing...then jump right into missions!  This way, everyone's happy.  I won't be tied down til I'm 30.  I'll still be doing something in the field of medicine (which I love).  The job market for nursing is HUGE even in a sucky economy so my parents will be happy that I can take care of myself.  And last but not least, nurses are needed EVERYWHERE!  Especially in missions!  If you're a nurse, they'll send you anywhere.  And the best part is, I don't have to take organic chemistry.  :D  Praise God.  

So...my mind is made up!  (again...for now.)  Let me know what you think or if you have any other input.  If you read all this, thanks.  :]

No comments: